Sunday 10 June 2012

Day 12

It is true... when you are really looking for something the universe will conspire to present itself to you. I haven't been resting the last two days.. :P I have desperately been trying to decide what to write about in this space. You may have already gathered that I'm not a professional at this so at times I'm caught thoughtless or wordless... :)

That's not the case today. I spent almost an hour researching and writing up a piece today around the "no salt diet" but just when I was re-reading I managed to catch the re-play of this weeks episode of Satyamev Jayate and I just had to write about it.

For those who missed, this weeks episode focussed on how our society is not built to accept anyone that is "different". Their focus was more on how the infrastructure in our country doesn't support those that are handicapped. There's a particular segment about a special girl, Disha that caught my attention. She has a condition where her skin doesn't grow with her age. It's far stretched and prone to infections. Sorry I missed the name of her condition but you see her and you know she has a condition. They spoke about how badly people treated her to the extent that a woman even spit on her...! What absolutely got to me was that she is an adopted kid. Her being "different" is what made her special and her current parents decided to adopt her. Her parents knew she needed extra care and love and they decided to adopt her. Totally reaffirmed my faith in the goodness in people.

Also made me think about how stuck we are over petty things like being too fat or too thin. Too fair or too dark. Too tall or too thin. Made me question why are we too stuck with these petty things.

Its obvious isn't it. We feel we are not accepted for who we are. The way we are. Then again, "we" make up the population so let me ask this. Do we really accept others for who they are? The way they are? The kind of acceptance that is forced on us by some sort of law like the discrimination act or equal opportunity act doesn't really count. I mean true acceptance that comes in the form of appreciation for the differences that makes us all unique. Acceptance that creates a willingness to learn from each others' differences and move forward, together. That sort of acceptance.

From my limited experience on this planet, I believe you can only accept the uniqueness in others when you've truly accepted yourself with everything that makes you unique and special.

No, I'm no saint. I too struggle on most days. Most days I'm too quick to judge but I try. I have to because if I dream of a better society I'm going to have to start by being a better person myself.

On that note I better say good night. It's way past my bed time.

See you tomorrow. Night night or Good Morning depending on which part of the globe you're on.





No comments:

Post a Comment