Tuesday 10 July 2012

I'm beautiful and I know it... :)

There's a thought that's been chewing my brain for some time now and I thought its unfair that my brain suffers alone. So here's some for your brain too... :P

Having an accurate estimation of yourself is a good thing, right? Its basically knowing your positives as well as your negatives. This allows you to change, improve and grow into the person you want to be. Why then is it so difficult for people to accept positives about themselves and just as easy to accept the negatives?

Ever noticed how when you tell someone something negative about themselves more often than not they will accept it and even confirm it. I guess they too see it as a negative in themselves. They do it easily and there's no fuss or arguing trying to prove that it is indeed a negative. Don't believe me? Try telling someone they've put on weight. See what you get. Don't be shy to share the responses you get. I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

Now, try complimenting someone about something you believe to be really great about them. Most likely that person is going to reject that compliment or just shrug it off with a thanks or say something like "now you're just being nice, etc." There's no real acceptance or confirmation like with the negative.

Did you try it for yourself?

Why is it so damn hard for people to confirm their positive attributes or achievements when complimented about the same?

Can you imagine someone telling Roger Federer that he's the greatest tennis player ever and him replying with two simple words, "I know." I have never heard him say that.
You know it. I know it. His opponents know it. His achievements speak for themselves. Why then have I never heard him accept that? Its not like he's over exaggerating his achievements. Just an accurate estimation of himself, I'd say.

Or for that matter if someone told me I'm beautiful and for me to reply with the same, "I know." Beauty, after all is very subjective so my estimation is the right estimation. If I said, "I know" I'd probably make eyes roll. Actually, let me correct that. I have said that and made eyes roll. I've been told things like, "that's very humble of you" or "how modest!" etc. The people who matter know that I still have my feet firmly planted on the ground. 

It pains me when I compliment someone and they try to play down their achievements. When they are not confident in themselves. Why are we so obsessed with trying to act modest? If there's something extraordinary about you why are you still expected to act in moderation? I don't get it. I say screw it. Everyone appreciates confidence. Be confident in yourself. If you believe you're the most beautiful person on this planet, you are...!!!

Always remember, the people who are trying to bring you down are already beneath you.

No comments:

Post a Comment