Friday 26 June 2015

Fast is not always good!

Since the pregnancy, c-section and the first year in my new role as Mum (I can't wait for my daughter to call me so) is almost over I decided to get back in the game and signed up for yoga lessons. The first day of my lesson and I was struggling a little with some basic stretches. Its been a long time. The first class I hurt my back. Second class I hurt my neck. Third class I was still struggling with the pain.

Whilst trying to achieve the right posture I tell him, “Sir, if I can tone this tummy down I may be able to bend further and get it right.”

He replies, “Tulsiji, when you are free tonight just google GM Diet. You will lose a lot of weight and very fast too!”

O-M-G! I know where this is headed.
I don’t know why everyone believes they know the perfect diet for weight loss. They will readily offer their advice, tips and stories of how xyx lost so many kilos following so and so diet.

There was havoc in my mind. I thought, “he’s referring to the General Motors Diet!”

“He’s a Yoga teacher. Shouldn’t his approach to health and fitness be more holistic? “

After having spent so many years listening to people and their tips, even trying most of them and not finding any lasting results I have become immune to this kind of bullshit.

That’s because I discovered Rujuta Diwekar and her book “Don’t Lose Your Mind, Lose your Weight!” 

More than a weight loss book its a celebration of our food, eating habits, customs and practices.
I instantly fell in love with the book because it made sense. It didn’t talk about depriving oneself of anything. Not even fried stuff! And you can’t even say she’s full of shit because her results are visible to all in the form of her celebrity clients.

So getting back to the point.

I tell my teacher that I’m not going to google GM diet. Instead I tell him the name of the book and ask him to read it. I also suggest that he refrain from giving unrealistic solutions to his clients or may lose credibility with his yoga too.

I realise very well that I can’t preach weight loss tips when I’m carrying so much weight around myself. So I’ve taken a tip from the book and have set myself a 30 day challenge. I will not start my day with coffee. Instead I will have a fruit first thing in the morning. And enjoy my coffee later in the morning.


If I want to wake up to eat that fruit I need to sleep now. So long, farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment