Friday 29 July 2011

Goals are a powerful thing.......


Hadn’t been to the gym in a week now. To make matters worst, I accepted an invitation to a pizza dinner at a friends place. How could I say no? It was pizza! Anyway, I went to bed last night with the commitment that I’d go to the gym in the morning.

I woke up and got dressed. Was about to step out and realised I was in charge of grocery shopping and lunch as mum wasn’t keeping well… Finished what I had to do. Finally at 3.30 I managed to head to the gym.

I got on the treadmill, set the time to 45 minutes and began my jog. At this point there were way too many thoughts running in my head. “What will I prepare for dinner?” “Should I continue living at home?” “But I want to go to Australia?”. My favourite, “what kind of guy is right for me?” My favourite because once this thought comes, it stays and confuses the **** out of me.

So here, I am on the treadmill trying to complete 45 minutes and I am interrupted with a thought that’s not ready to go…. Suddenly I look at the time I’ve completed and feel like someone’s sentenced me to jail. It’s only been 10 minutes! I thought I had at least finished 2O. My legs feel tired… my shoulders feel heavy…. the music isn’t fast and catchy enough, my back is hurting and I’m now wondering if 45 minutes was rather too ambitious.

I have done 45 minutes before, hell, I’ve even done 60 minutes. So now I have to choose. I can slow down and stop or I can finish what I've started. I remind myself of how awesome I felt when I’d set the 60-minute goal and completed it. My focus has automatically moved to my breathing technique, my posture, I’m loosening my hands and I’m telling myself “of course you can do this…. You’ve done it before… in fact you’ve done 60 before so this is nothing…. you’re so light this isn’t even an effort for you...… your feet are moving in sync with the beats of the music that’s playing….. etc etc..”

I look at the time and although I’ve only just finished another 5 minutes I’m telling myself “its only 30 more minutes to go…” and I’m happy with every minute I complete. After completing 25 minutes my body is already feeling like a machine. Completely in sync with the treadmill, just going for it.

Suddenly, the belt starts to slow down. I look to the screen thinking I accidentally touched the “stop” button and there are those priceless two words starting at me on the screen. “GOAL ATTAINED” followed by “BEGIN COOL DOWN”.

Right there, I am overcome by a sense of achievement. I am so charged; I get on the bike and finish 30 minutes on level 8. I cool down, finish stretching and get ready to leave.  As I walk down to the changing rooms, I am feeling energised, I am feeling happy, I am feeling powerful… like there’s nothing I can’t achieve if I really commit myself to it. I realise the last time I felt like that was a week ago, when I came to the gym.

The trick is to push yourself outside your comfort zone. The best part is you can do it everyday and feel that powerful every single day. Doesn't have to be going to the gym. 

Oh.. and of course… did you notice? Even the thoughts that “usually refuse to go” were no longer there….. The mind is clear and full of positive thoughts and energy.

3 comments:

  1. way to go gal... Its usual to get all sorts of thoughts when u start working out initially.. but as u go deeper into them.. exercising helps u produce Endorphins.. which is a "Happy Hormone" once u get into it regularly.. u will realize u feel veryy happy after ur done working out.. ur brain is more relaxed n clamer than ever.. many times it has happened with me tat i go to the gymm angry n irritated but come out happy n peaceful... tats where the gymm addiction starts... i wish u all the best gal..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sheba - Thank you....:)

    @ Disha - Your words have inspired me to sign up for the Half Marathon. Need I say more? :)

    ReplyDelete