Tuesday 12 June 2012

Day 14

In your quest to lose weight in a healthy manner do you often hear things like;

Eat fresh foods
Pick organic
Avoid preservatives so no ready to cook food
No junk food
Go easy on chocolates, ice creams, cakes and colas
.... stuff like that?

It just occurred to me that there was in fact a time when people ate like that. Actually there is a place where people eat like that even today. That place is my home and many other homes, I'm sure.

My mum wakes up and cooks breakfast for the family. Then its lunch time followed by dinner. Even the snacks are prepared at home. Some snacks are prepared in advance but the good thing is they don't contain any preservatives. It doesn't only stop there. She shops for the fruits and vegetables herself so they're all handpicked after a very lengthy process of scouting varied number of vendors. Of course, since I'm home I am always forced to go along more as a designated driver than anything else.

Of course my family can enjoy this luxury because my mum has chosen to stay at home and not go to 'work'. But is she really not working? I think she works more than all of us combined and I can say that because when anyone falls sick things still run smoothly at home. But if mum falls there is complete chaos. Everyone is lost.

Very recently mum wasn't at her best and was prescribed bed rest. That's when I filled in for her and realised just how difficult her life was. Cooking a fresh meal at least 3 times a day. I for one had totally underestimated the work she does. That forced me to think of the lifestyle our ancestors enjoyed. I think they probably had their way of life completely sorted. One partner went to work while the other stayed at the house looking after everything that made it a home. Its more than a full time job. Don't know what changed. If I had to speculate I'd say things changed when everyone started valuing money over all else. (I'd save this argument, Oh! of course I meant discussion ;) for another day)

Getting back to food. It is our basic source of energy. Imagine having a meal that is personally handpicked and freshly prepared every time! Try having that kind of food for a couple of weeks and you may notice the sugar cravings have disappeared. I'm saying this from a place of personal experience. I can't remember the last time I had a craving that needed a fix then and there...

Wow... I sound like I'm almost contemplating a lifestyle change but I'm born in a different time so I will just have to make best of what I have and that means training my husband to cook decent meals when I'm unable to do so..... Ahem! Ahem! Are you listening from where ever you are? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment